Please review the information below for steps you can take to resolve your student loan related issue. You can also review NSLP’s Ombudsman Checklist to be certain you have taken all of the necessary steps to resolve your problem before contacting the NSLP Ombudsman.
If you have reviewed the checklist and find that you have exhausted all of your available options, then you should complete the NSLP Ombudsman Review Request Form. NSLP must have this information in order to research your case.
What is an Ombudsman?
An Ombudsman is a neutral, impartial, party who will attempt to help you resolve your federal student loan dispute without “taking sides.” The Ombudsman should be contacted only when you have exhausted all other avenues and have been unsuccessful in resolving the issue.
What an Ombudsman does not do:
- An Ombudsman is not an advocate for either side (remains neutral).
- An Ombudsman does not have the authority to reverse any prior decisions about your federal student loans.
- NSLP’s Ombudsman can only answer questions about NSLP guaranteed federal student loans.
- NSLP’s Ombudsman cannot answer any questions on behalf of other parties including guarantors, lenders, or government agencies.
- NSLP’s Ombudsman cannot answer any questions about alternative or private student loans.
Before you contact NSLP’s Ombudsman:
- You must try to resolve your federal student loan issue with your school or loan holder.
- Document your attempts to resolve the issue with your school or loan holder. NSLP will require the documentation of your attempts and what you did to resolve the problem if your case is escalated to the Ombudsman.
- Get a copy of your Studentaid.gov report so that you fully understand what federal student loan debt you have. To get those records, go to studentaid.gov and log in. You will need an FSA ID to access your federal student loans. If you do not have an FSA ID, you can create one here.
To contact the NSLP Ombudsman:
If you have exhausted all avenues and are still unable to resolve the issue, you may contact the NSLP Ombudsman.
- So that accurate history of your case is maintained, your initial contact with the NSLP Ombudsman must be in writing through either regular mail or fax.
- Complete the NSLP Ombudsman Review Request Form and all supporting documentation you have to the NSLP Ombudsman.
- Your complaint will be reviewed within 45 business days. After the review, you will be contacted by email or letter outlining what your next steps should be.
To contact the Federal Student Aid Ombudsman Group:
- Telephone: 877-557-2575
- Fax: 606-396-4821
FSA Ombudsman Group
P.O. Box 1843
Monticello, KY 42633
We also encourage you to visit our Frequently Asked Questions.